Friday, March 20, 2009

My swaddle baby

As new parents one of the very first lessons we received was how to swaddle.

Paul was definitely the swaddle pro. He made it so tight that Cameron (rarely) escaped. I on the other hand was not crowned swaddle champ. Cameron was so insistent on moving when I would swaddle with the receiving blanket. My little Houdini would quickly escape which led to flailing arms & ear piercing screams. It was so sad. Since he didn’t have complete control over his nervous system it was hard for him to keep those little arms down & stay asleep.

In fact I almost, ok I did, squeal with excitement after buying the kiddopotamus swaddle. The pre velcro tabs were heaven sent. Since purchasing a few & using them religiously Cameron's been able to not only stay asleep for naps but even through the whole night (!!!). Sometimes he squirms & pushes his little hand out to suck but for the most part he’s swaddled pretty tight.

Well last night I heard him moving about & grunting (no poop) in his bassinet. I turned to see what he was up to & somehow (ok, I swaddled) he got out of the kiddopotamus. He was trying to break a hand free but ended up with both arms out. He stretched them over his head, wiggled around for a bit then fell right back to sleep.

I anxiously waited for him to start flailing his arms & cry out for help. But seconds that led to minutes passed & he was still sound asleep.

It was a bittersweet moment. I was happy that he wasn’t upset but at the same time it hit me.

My love, my little baby boy wasn’t my twitching, crying newborn anymore. It so surreal to know that my baby (who is a week shy of 3 months) is learning & growing everyday. Quick as quick can be he's figuring out the world & growing up too darn fast.

1 comment:

  1. Joe was the best swaddler too...I totally sucked and couldn't figure out why the damn blanket was so loose when I got done...still can't but I'm much better. Bella still likes to be swaddled at night, she can get out but hey, she starts out all cozy.
    Aww, he's an infant now...sigh...too fast, too fast!

    ReplyDelete